Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hunter Valley Winery Tour

So I did an all day trip today to the Hunter Valley wineries, which is about 2 hours north of Sydney. We stopped at 5 different wineries. I skipped most of the white wines b/c I just really don't like white wine. I tasted some pretty nice Shiraz's, Cabs, and several other types I had never heard of. Here are some photos of the winery trip. One of our stops was at Drayton, which a few weeks ago tragically had a large explosion where their they lost 2 people, including the wine maker who was a Drayton. They had just re-opened after making a make-shift new cellar door (room for tasting wines). We could still see the shredded building and busted vats. Sad story.

Anyone that has visited me in DC surely knows about the bottle of 'Brennivin' (which translates to 'Black Death') I brought back from Iceland.


Well, it took us a year but we finally finished the bottle. It was pretty brutal. So since that challenge is over, it's time for a new one. On the wine tour today this one brewery had some funky different schnapps, and OF COURSE...I bought a bottle for us all back in the States. It's called 'Dragons Breath' and is a Chili schanpps. I had some and it's not that bad...it was actually this winery's best selling bottle, but it definitely packs a punch. Bottoms up! (and yes, that is a chili pepper floating in the bottle).

3 comments:

JD said...

Oh man. I hate you. I really don't need another year of awful shots!

ebaggg said...

The good news John is that I bought the small bottle (the liter was $50) and rather hefty. So this won't be as brutal.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to throwing up on your floor.