Monday, January 28, 2008

Fraser Island and the Whitsundays


So I am in Airlie Beach right now. The 2-day boat trip through the Whitsunday islands (pictured above) was awesome. My boat had 49 people on it...people from all over the world that loved partying. I would need a 6-pack and an hour and half to fill you in on all the stories. Staying up til 4am and singing songs with the Irish was one highlight. Tons of drinking games but met some really amazing people. As always I'm the only American in the group, but had to dust off my French and Dutch and after 3 days of hanging with these people, I now have best friends in Switzerland, Denmark, UK, Brazil, German, Holland, Sweden, and Canada eh! It certainly will make traveling better. It's quite funny, an Irish accent after 7+ drinks is 10x more tough to understand than any German accent. Anyway, did some quite amazing snorkeling and scuba in the barrier reef. I'm here in Airlie another night then heading to Mission Beach for the skydive, then tomorrow night to Cairns which is the town closest to the best of the best of the Great Barrier Reef. I'll probably do another scuba dive there. Alright, I'm off for now. I have tons of great pics and will do a proper posting then.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pictures look great.

JD said...

Sounds like you're having a great time, man. Looking forward to hearing about the skydive.

JD said...

Oh, Al Saunders as OC for the Rams. Its going to be a long year.

Anonymous said...

the trip sounds awesome...but, the real question is 'do you even work anymore?'

Nikki + AJ said...

Hey there. I don't know you but I found your photo through a Google image search for "Whitsundays." I live in New York and I'm hoping to visit there soon, before year's end. Your trip sounds amazing. Can you offer any advice to another solo traveler?

Anonymous said...

Nikki. Shoot me an email at kewoldt AT loyola DOT edu and I can fill you in on what to do. It depends what type of person you are. I am a partier and my Aussie friends laid out this itinerary for me and it was perfect. Some of my friends I met along the way were couples and liked a slower place...I know some good spots for that too. just shoot me an email.