Thursday, June 19, 2008

Guess who's back


So I've decided to kick up my blog again...there's too much stuff going on not to make it known. The latest is my drama going on with my Air Conditioning. Now, for those don't know...I live in a very nice (ok, luxury) building attached to the Verizon Center. I recently was in London and when I got back is when the 100 degree heat wave hit DC. Stepping off the plane hungover from 5 glorious days with the limeys, the heat punched me square in the face. You know that moment when you first exit the plane door and you get the first taste of the weather? The date was June 9th.

The first text message I received when turning my phone back on was from my roommate, "Sorry, the AC is out...working on it." WHAT?!?! I get back home to find the a/c unit completely off the wall and wires everywhere. He's trying to fix it himself (and no, he does not know anything about electronics). He owns the apartment and hates having to pay for professionals to fix things. Our dryer broke and he tried to fix that himself, which was a disaster. It took him 20 minutes to unscrew the top and all he did was spin the drum. I digress.

me: "you need to call a repair guy immediately."
him: "i've been on the phone with the manufacturer...they're faxing me over the instructions tomorrow."
3 days go by with more excuses. This is about the time I find out the a/c has been out for months and he is just now getting around to fixing it. He promised he'd have it fixed by the weekend (I was going to NYC that following weekend for a friend's bachelor party). I text messaged my roommate on Sunday before leaving NYC:

me: "is it fixed?"
him: "I don't know what's up with these guys, they won't respond."
me: "Nice. Well, for every day the a/c is not fixed, I'm deducting a day's rent."
him: "I'll buy you a fan."
me: "You can buy a new roommate then too."

So more time goes by (it has been cool in DC the last week)...he told me the a/c guy is coming on Wednesday (June 18). I get home yesterday from work and he is messing with the wires.
me: "did the repair guy come?"
him: "yeah, he took a look at it and said he didn't know how to fix it. He has to call in his boss, but he still charged me $167 ".
me: "WHEN IS THE GUY COMING TO FIX THIS?!"
him: "friday"
me: "riiight"

I'll keep you posted. Here are some pics of how it looks now...and what the repair guy came into deal with. My roommate royally F'd this up. You think that's not enough? He decided to paint the living room and his bedroom while we still have no AC. I don't even remember those days now that I think about it.


Can you imagine being a repair guy and coming into this?! I'd walk out too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHAT A MORON!!! I say this as a qualified person in the field of construction: I wouldn't even try to fix an A/C unit. These things are so intricate and developed that they don't make sense to anyone that doesn't program them for a living. About 15 years, the HVAC industry went through an almost complete turnover because the technology was out thinking the repairmen. The schooling it takes to understand some of these systems is extensive.
Let me put it this way, I know how to build large buildings with details that not many people outside of what I do understand. But when it comes time to install controls for HVAC, I just contract the guy, and say make it work. Thats all I know.