Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Becks and the Olympic Stadium

I
So at lunch with some people in my office I found out Beckham was playing at the Olympic Stadium. Sold out? No problem. After dealing with the scumbags outside Verizon center, this should be a snap...and it was. The scalpers were actually really polite and it was haggle free, but I was not paying $100 to see Becks. Hanging around will call I ran into some chicks who had an extra and got it for $10 under face. They wanted $20 over and I was like "all I got is $50" and the other girl to her friend was like "take it!!". haha, great negotiators. Of course I had like seven 50's in my wallet when I went to pay, but whatver.

Holy crap Olympic Park is bad ass. The stadium is cool as shit. here are some pics of that. The locals I was sitting with I was getting along with great, until I took a jab at Sydney FC's uniforms:

Me: "Don't you think Sydney FC's uniforms look funny?"
Girl: "How do you mean?"
Me: "They look like something gays would wear to bed."


The people around me got a big kick out of this but I was just being serious. The LA Galaxy blow bad, and I left pretty much after Landon Donovan got red carded and applauded himself running off the field while everyone booed him. Amazing how one player can get booed so much. All he needs is to play a match in Antartica and he's got all 7 continents covered.

One thing is clear is that Australia is similar to America in its need for celebrity gossip. People were going NUTS to see Beckham. These Sydney FC games usually pull in max of 20,000 people and this was sold out. Almost every kid I saw was wearing a LA Galaxy Beckham jersey. Anytime he did a corner kick, it was like the World Series first pitch....camera flashes everywhere. And when he scored on that free kick from the top of the key with a nice bender...holy shit, you would have thought they announced world peace. The stadium went bananas. I am still without an apartment so i gotta jet.

No comments: