Thursday, July 3, 2008

Party @ the Iceland Embassy


So my friend Joe and I hit a party last night at the Iceland Embassy. When we first walked in, my first reaction was 'this is going to suck.' But things changed pretty quick. The party was at the Ambassador's gorgeous house in NW DC off Mass Ave.

Now, as a habit, I usually bring back a bottle of liquor from whatever country I visit. Two years ago, I was sitting in the Reykjavik airport on the way home upset I failed in my task. Since the airport was busy, an old lady asked to share my table. She immediately started talking about "Black Death"...an Icelandic icon and that it was available at duty free. I picked up a bottle and brought it back to the States. My friends absolutely HATED this liquor. It's good for getting you bombed and sparking dry heaves on the way down. It took a year to finish which says everything about its flavor. I actually don't mind it that much. To describe it, I'd say it's a clear liquor with a faint licorice kick at the end.

When I was talking with the Ambassador, I asked him "What? No Black Death at this party?" He looked at me sternly but grinning and replied "You want some?" I replied "Absolutely." He walked into the back and emerged with a frozen bottle of Black Death (real name Brennivin). He plopped it on the bar and we got after it. Not sure where or how but a 2nd bottle emerged that I wanted no part of. All in all and we met some great people, and I definitely look forward to the next one.


Freezing the bottle and shot glasses was huge. The bottle that we drank in the States was room temperature for the first half of the bottle. He said it is also custom to chase it with Viking beer, another key step we didn't know.

1 comment:

JD said...

I always chased by immediately swallowing my own vomit. Five in a row one night was a bad idea.